- ABOUT JIPO
- TRADE MARKS
- GEO INDICATIONS
- TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE
Jamaica - Switzerland GI Project
The Government of Jamaica passed The Protection of Geographical Indications Act 2004 and the accompanying Regulations, 2009 thereby establishing the legal framework for the protection of products designated under the Geographical Indications (GI) regime in Jamaica. To assist it in establishing a strong system of protection for Jamaican GI’s, the Jamaica Intellectual Property Office (JIPO) received the technical assistance of Switzerland who is world renowned for its robust advocacy of and practice in protecting GIs. In the view of Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI), technical assistance to Jamaica in the field of GIs would offer the following benefits and opportunities:
- Legal support at this stage of development of a GI protection system allows for high potential impact;
- The implementation of an effective and sustainable GI protection in Jamaica would be a valuable example for other developing countries;
- Both countries can more actively fight counterfeiting of GIs.
- Both countries will gain credibility for the international negotiations on GIs;
- Switzerland can advantageously put its experience in the field of GIs to use, acting as the first mover in Jamaica; and
- The technical assistance programme will facilitate the negotiation of a high standard bilateral agreement on the mutual protection of GIs, which could serve as a model for further agreements.
Geographical Indications Links
- Geographical Indications Project Information
- Study tour to Martigny Switzerland - 2009
- RADA Training - April:June 2010